- January 11, 6PM-10PM - California Copyright Conference: Film and Television Music Panel
- January 20, 7PM-12AM - Association of Independent Music Publishers: Artist Showcase at Molly Malone's
- January 22-26 - MIDEM & MidemNet in Cannes, France
- January 27, 12PM-2PM - Beverly Hills Bar Association: Back by popular demand to give the 3rd annual State of Evolving Media address is leading IP and new media lawyer James D. Nguyen, a partner in the Beverly Hills office of Wildman, Harrold, Allen & Dixon LLP. Jimmy will discuss the latest technology and business trends with evolving media and key legal issues in the evolving media landscape.
- January 30 - Deadline to give audit notice if your objection period ends 30 days following the period ended December 31. Don't lose your rights - call or e-mail me for help (310-882-6381).
Friday, December 17, 2010
Monday, November 8, 2010
Copyright Protection for Pre-1972 Sound Recordings - US Copyright Office Requests Your Comments by December 20, 2010
Friday, October 29, 2010
- November 4, Online: NARM – “Market Overview: Current Trends and Sales Data, Part III” presented by Nielsen SoundScan
- November 7, West Los Angeles: Songwriters' Law Seminar
- Webinar for Artists: Maximizing Your Digital Performance Royalties
- November 9, Sherman Oaks: The California Copyright Conference (The CCC) - Digital Recognition Technologies - How Do they Work and How Are They Being Used
- November 16, Online: NARM – “Know Your Consumer, Part 2: High Schoolers”
- November 18, West Hollywood, California: The Association of Independent Music Publishers (The AIMP) - "Hitchin' Your Music to a Trailer" luncheon panel discussion
- November 19, Downtown LA: American Music Conference
- November 29 - Deadline for publishers to participate in 2007-2008 Group II NMPA Late Fee Program (pending and unmatched royalties settlement)
- November 29 - Deadline to give audit notice if your objection period ends 60 days following the quarter end. Don't lose your rights - call me for help (310-882-6381).
I will update the list with additional events that come to my attention. Hope to see you in November!
Monday, October 4, 2010
California's top legal recruiting firm, Swan Legal Search, just published my second guest post on its SwanLegal.com blog. The posts are written for IP attorneys and are loaded with detailed tips from an auditor's perspective on "How to Recover Your Client's Fair Share:"
Whether you practice law or not, I invite you to share your thoughts on the above guest blogs.
Attorneys: stay tuned for a guest post from Delia Swan, Esq., who can change your legal career!
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Oct 13 @ The Croft, Bristol, UK
Oct 14 @ The academy 3 Leicester, UK
Oct 15 @ The 13th note Glasgow, UK
Oct 16 @ Brudenell Social Club Leeds, UK
Monday, September 20, 2010
- October 4, San Francisco, California: Digital Music San Francisco business networking event, in association with Billboard's Mobile Entertainment Live event (see below)
- October 5, San Francisco, California: Billboard Mobile Entertainment Live! The Music App Summit
- October 12, Sherman Oaks: The California Copyright Conference (The CCC) - The Future of the Music Industry: An Economic Update
- October 19, Beverly Hills, California: National Music Publishers' Association (NMPA) West Coast Receiption (RSVP deadline passed)
- October 21, West Hollywood, California: The Association of Independent Music Publishers (The AIMP) - Mock Negotiation with Donald Passman, Esq.
- October 23, Downtown Los Angeles: USC and the BHBA's 2010 Institute on Entertainment Law and Business
- October 27-28, Century City, California: The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard Film and TV Music Conference
- October 30 - Deadline to give audit notice if your objection period ends 30 days following the quarter end. Don't lose your rights - call me for help (310-882-6381).
Friday, September 17, 2010
Farrant explained that WOI needs at least five percent independent Anglo-American publisher participation in order to achieve the efficiency and negotiating leverage comparable to the majors' pan-Euro licensing partnerships:
- To form "PEDL," Warner/Chappell allied with many societies, including:
- STIM (Sweden)
- PRS (UK)
- SACEM (France)
- BUMA/STEMRA (The Netherlands)
- SABAM (Belgium)
- SGAE (Spain)
- EMI allied with PRS (UK) and GEMA (Germany) to create "CELAS"
- UMG allied with SACEM (France) for "DEAL"
- SONY engaged GEMA's "PAECOL" (Germany)
- SONY, EMI and independent publisher Peermusic allied with SGAE (Spain) for licensing of Latin American repertoire
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
California's top legal recruiting firm, Swan Legal Search, invited me to guest blog at SwanLegal.com. Below is a link to my first post:
How To Recover Your Client’s Fair Share – Part I: Negotiate a Better Contract
Attorneys: stay tuned for guest blog entries from Delia Swan, Esq., who can change your legal career!
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Mark your calendars for these important Los Angeles music business events:
- September 14 @ 6:30 PM - The California Copyright Conference (CCC): 2010 Legal Eagles: Legal Developments Affecting the Music Industry
- September 16 @ 6:30 PM - The Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP): STIM Presentation - Pan European Digital Rights Licensing
- September 20 @ 7PM - Steve Winogradsky's UCLA Music Publishing Class Begins
- September 23
- @ 11:30 AM - The Association of Independent Music Publishers (AIMP): MOBILE APPS - Is There Money In Them Thar Apps?
- @ 12 PM - Beverly Hills Bar Association (BHBA): IP Strategies to Protect Website Look and Feel
- September 30 - Deadline to object to royalty statements and/or give audit notice in cases where you have three months following the period ended June 30 to object. Don't lose your rights - call me for help (310-882-6381).
Hope to see you at one or more of the above events!
Monday, September 6, 2010
Gain a Working Knowledge of Music Publishing - Steve Winogradsky's UCLA Music Publishing Class Begins 9/20/2010
For years, Steven Winogradsky, Esq. has taught music publishing at UCLA Extension. If you need to brush-up on the music publishing business, sign up now for Winogradsky's Fall 2010 class, which starts Sept. 20, 2010. Here are the details per Mr. Winogradsky:
- 4-Unit Course: Music Publishing: Law and Business (Course # X 448.17; Reg. # V8824)
- Day/Time: Monday, 7-10pm
- Dates: September 20 - December 6
- Location: UCLA Dodd Hall, room 161
- Instructor contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course Description: This overview is designed for those interested in a career in music publishing as well as for business and personal managers and attorneys who desire a working knowledge of the music publishing industry. Topics include copyright basics; songwriter agreements; setting up domestic licensing for records, motion pictures, television, print, commercials, and other areas; and dealing with ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. Discussion also includes aspects of foreign subpublishing, including negotiating agreements, and collection societies. Additional topics also include, new media, social networking, digital royalty collection, and progressive internet search engine tools and techniques to promote band and grow royalties. Guest speakers include music industry executives and attorneys. Prerequisite: Practical experience in music publishing or music business; CPAs and Bar Association members automatically qualify.
- Cost of the class is $550, plus $40 for the course reader. For attorneys, there is 34 hours of MCLE credit available.
- If you or your staff is interested in signing up for this class, please go to: https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/default.aspx for further instructions.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Join me next Thursday for a very special "Targeted Internet Marketing and Privacy" panel discussion at the Beverly Hills Bar Association's June 24 luncheon at Lawry's. Please reserve your meal at bhba.org if you would like to attend in-person, or sign up for the webcast here.
- Halimah DeLaine Prado, Esq., Sr. Product Counsel, Google Inc.
- Jonathan Avila, Esq., Chief Privacy Officer, The Walt Disney Co.
- David D. Johnson, Esq., Sr. Attorney, Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
Cedar Boschan, Compliance Auditor, Hurewitz, Boschan & Co. LLP
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Registration & Lunch: 12:00 p.m.
Program: 12:30 - 2:00 p.m.
100 N. La Cienega Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA
(1/2 block North of Wilshire)
Free underground parking
$65.00 for BHBA Intellectual Property Section members who pay in advance*
$85.00 for BHBA members who pay in advance*
$40.00 for Law Students who pay in advance*
$105.00 for non BHBA members who pay in advance*
(Additional $20.00 more at door for all)
This event is FREE for members of The Order of Distinguished Attorneys
*Refund with 48 hours notice, raincheck with 24 hours notice
MCLE Credit: This activity has been approved for Minimum Continuing Legal Education credit by the State Bar of California in the amount of 1.5 hours and the Beverly Hills Bar Association certifies that this activity conforms to the standards for approved education activities prescribed by the rules and regulations of the State Bar of California governing minimum continuing legal education.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Check now to see if a musicians' union fund owes you a payment: http://www.raroyalties.org/unclaimedchecks_all.html
The AFM & AFTRA Intellectual Property Rights Distribution Fund distrbutes the following sound recording royalties:
- Japan - Rental & private copying
- Netherlands - Private copying & broadcast
- USA - Private copying & digital performance
Tell me what you find!
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Music Rights: A Global View - April 20, 2010 Panel Discussion at The California Copyright Conference
Teri Nelson Carpenter and I will co-moderate on April 20, 2010 a panel of top music executives from France, The Netherlands and Canada. We will discuss:
- Pan-European Licensing
- Neighboring Rights
- Emerging Markets
The panel of your international music business partners will feature:
- Claude Gaillard - Deputy Director, Member Relations - SACEM
- Christian Sarrazin - Vice President - Industry Relations and Strategic Intelligence - SOCAN
- Wim van Limpt - International Account Manager Member Services BUMA/STEMRA
- Gino Olivieri - President, Premier Muzik International Corporation NEIGHBORING RIGHTS / ROYALTY RECOVERY
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
6:15 PM Check-In * 6:30 PM Cocktails * 7:00 PM Dinner
COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT, 15433 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 (Near Sepulveda & Ventura Blvd., just west of the 405 freeway)
Parking entrance on Orion Avenue
Free parking with validation. For map and directions, Click Here
Appetizer: California Mixed Green Salad
Entrée: Chicken Marsala, Beef Stroganoff or Vegetarian Pasta
Dessert: Chef's Choice
CCC Members $40 per person / Non-members $50 per person
RESERVE YOUR SEAT NOW - RESERVATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL
10:00 AM FRIDAY, April 16, 2010
Please help us make this an enjoyable experience for everyone by using the reservation system. A failure to reserve by the deadline may result in not receiving your preferred choice of dinner entree.
Register online with your credit card at www.theccc.org
Or use our voicemail system (818-379-3312)
Dinners payable at the door by cash or check only. No credit cards.